Seeing all of the repeated questions being asked over and over (and over) again. I decided that we as a community should try and hopefully help take a bit of a load off the Moderators, previous WMD members, devs, and Ian himself by creating this FAQ regarding Project CARS 2. In this thread you'll be able to find answers to most of the common questions and/or responses people have about this announcement including quotes from Ian and other staff/wmd members. I've combed through all 50+ pages of the announcement thread as well as a bunch of other threads and will continue to keep this thread updated as much as possible.

Project CARS 2 "For Dummies"

Q: What is it?

A: SMS has announced that they are planning to begin development on Project CARS 2. They have set up a WMD funding site with information as well as membership levels. Note that this is an announcement of development, not that a game is going to drop within months. Many game studios do not announce anywhere close to this early in the development cycle. However, since SMS is being different by allowing the public to assist in the game's development through the WMD portal, an announcement needs to be made this early to give the public a chance to get it from the very beginning. Think of this as less of a "we're going to release PCars2" and more of a "PCars has been enough of a success for us to want to make a sequel".

Q: PCars2 already? PCars1 was just released!

A: Believe it or not, this is actually how game development works. Whether it be SMS with PCars, MS with the Forza series, even games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto start the next installment of the series soon after the release of the previous game (sometimes even before).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Bell (FAQ) PCars2 "For Dummies" in General Discussion
The fact is we DELAYED the start of pCARS2, on my say so, until the release of patch 1.4. I wanted pCARS1 in a better state before we got going.

We would normally have started about 4-6 months before pCARS1 hit the shops. That's fairly normal in the industry.

Quote:

It's only how almost every other game brand on earth operates

Q: But the bugs! Shouldn't SMS "finish" PCars 1 first?

A: PCars 1 is finished from a production standpoint. Additional content and bugfixes will continue to be released. SMS has a team of roughly 40 people working on PCars 1 still correcting issues and prepping/finishing DLC content.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umer Ahmad (FAQ) PCars2 "For Dummies" in General Discussion
Purchasers of pcars1.0 have a right to a well-functioning game and Ian/SMS are working hard to provide that.

Q: But is 40 people enough??

From my own experiences, 40 people on a post-release piece of software is extensive. Especially when it consists of 1/3rd of your total development team. (I work in the IT industry and deal with many pieces of software from many different companies.)

A: Quote:

Enough? Forty staff costs us 400k dollars per month approximately. For a team of our size that's a massive amount of people staying committed to a shipped game longterm.

Quote:

We are spending so much of what we're making on pCARS1 back into pCARS1 for the longterm that it's scary.

Q: Isn't it too soon to release a sequel?

A: PCars2 isn't going to be released tomorrow. It is being built essentially from scratch which means it may take years before a product ever hits the shelves/steam.

Quote:

Seeing as build One of pCARS2 is available today, and seeing as members want to be involved as early as possible (most from the very early stages) when do you recommend we should have announced it?

Quote:

The dev period for pCARS2 will be decided by the members. I hope it's not going to take as long as pCARS1 but 2ish years is probably a good initial guestimate.

Q: I just bought PCars 1? I feel ripped off!

A: You needn't worry. Project Cars is still being supported and will still have lots of content on the way both free and paid DLC. In addition to that, PCars2 will still be a couple years away from release so you'll still get plenty of great playtime in on the first installment of the series.

Quote:

We know what's coming for pCARS1 and it's substantial and long term.

Quote:

We've already promised the first year of updates for starters.

Q: Do you really have to crowd-fund another title?

A: It's less about funding the title and more about allowing the community the opportunity to help, in a significant way, with the development of the game.

Quote:

We don't need the money!! We are allowing those who are interested to join a full development process from scratch, to alter the direction and design of a AAA game. The fees are simply to ensure we don't have to keep answering questions like this

Quote:

The intention was always to allow a limited group to join in the development with us. We have no expectations of the members contributing more than about 10% of the development total.

Q: But isn't 50 for just a basic membership a little steep for a game?

A: The price points are set where they are to help prevent trolls and other people who aren't actually serious about helping from being a big problem. You have to want to help if you're willing to shell out serious money to be a WMD member.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario Navarrete (FAQ) PCars2 "For Dummies" in General Discussion
you're not just paying for the game, you're paying for the experience of shaping and molding something while having early access.

Quote:

(on development) this is all down to the members. They'll guide the development. This isn't normal 'kickstarter or early access' style developing.

Q: I don't have a PC. Can I help develop on the XB1/PS4 platform?

For Xbox users we're working on this: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/1ess-to-console

For PS4 it's still up in the air but we think we'll at least be able to get Alpha and Beta builds out. We're hoping for more though and await any news from Sony.

Q: How soon can I start testing on XB1?

We don't now yet, this is all new, and not just to us. We'll make it clear as soon as we can though.

Q: How long are the signups for WMD going to last?

Two or three months we think, maybe more. We want to see how we can handle the support and interaction as the numbers rise adn we're judging it by ear.

Q: Can I upgrade my tier at a later time (ie: start with Bronze and upgrade to Gold)?

A: Yes.

Quote:

Yes you can upgrade freely.

*Note* By "freely" he means at any time not "you can upgrade for free".

Q: Are there going to be real racing drivers helping develop PCars2?

Originally Posted by Umer Ahmad (FAQ) PCars2 "For Dummies" in General Discussion
Ben Collins
Nic Hamilton
Oli Webb
Rene Rast

And few others

Plus Doug and the other physics guys have racing experience too

Q: All I'm seeing in the press release is rally cars. Is PCars2 going to be a rally game?

pCARS2 isn't 'an offroad game'.

Q: Can I get a tl:dr version of this FAQ?

Well, it isn't exactly short, but user ermo did a fantastic job here.

Again, I will continue to update this thread as more information arises. If community members would like to post questions and their associated answers (from a reliable source) below I will add them to the FAQ as well. (And credit the appropriate people.)

Note: All quotes where trimmed for context and to remove names.

Thanks to ermo for the tl;dr rundown.

A special thanks to Ian and the WMD crew for providing the answers and reference material cited here.

P.S. To any naysayers/whiners who even think of trying to crash this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7X2_V60YK8

Original Writen by 3800racingfool in General Discussion Category, the date of 23-06-2015 17:53.